A Little Bio

My photo
Im a Stay at Home Mommy to one Beautiful Daughter. I have an amazing husband and a pretty rocking dog named Moose. I love to cook, bake and read. Sometimes I'm lazy. Sometimes my house is dirty. But most of all, I love my family and I'm a real mom.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Celiac

My best friend cannot have wheat. When I say 'cannot', I don't mean she will get a little sick and maybe not feel well for a few hours. I'm talking extreme.
Her body revolts and she will be sick for days. For her, gluten free living is not a 'fad'. It is real life and even a smidgen of wheat left on a dirty counter will negatively affect her.

For me, gluten free is new. I don't cook with gluten free stuff often and usually only look closely at labels if my bestow will be around or eating the food.

I made my standard vanilla cupcakes (see my earlier post for the recipe) with frosting on Sunday for my birthday brunch but I did them GF since she was going to be there. Let me tell you, I love these cupcakes GF!! Way better than the original recipe and better for you too. For now, I use Pamela's baking mix and sift it before using in baking. Also, don't use any baking soda or powder like the recipe calls for. Baking mixes typically have these already in them, so adding them creates a mess in your oven. I learned this on from experience. Check the back of the bag and then double check to see if your mix has these included! Trust me, this stuff gives the best flavor to vanilla cupcakes and chocolate chip cookies. Try it.

In terms of all purpose GF flour, I haven't used it before but am very excited to give it a try. I love the 'idea' that you can substitute it 1:1 in most recipes although I am taking that with a grain of salt... I just ordered a few bags of it and will be doing a lot of GF cooking in the near future. Anyone want to taste test for me?!

GF spaghetti-o's are first on the list, just for you M!!

No comments:

Post a Comment