A Little Bio

My photo
Im a Stay at Home Mommy to one Beautiful Daughter. I have an amazing husband and a pretty rocking dog named Moose. I love to cook, bake and read. Sometimes I'm lazy. Sometimes my house is dirty. But most of all, I love my family and I'm a real mom.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Energy Balls



Hi everyone. The last few days have been super fun. Josh and I went fishing... we didn't catch anything but the weather was nice and we had each other for company. When we got home, we were exhausted. So we both grabbed a soda and some of these amazing bites. 
I made some for the first time over the weekend, and they were gone that day. I had to go to the store to get more honey to make some more the next day. They are a big hit with the little one as well as my husband.  I like them becuase they are super easy to make, require stuff that I almost always have in the house and they are no bake. What more can a mom ask for? Make these during nap time and I promise, your kids will be happy to have these as an afternoon snack. Kids and adults alike will think that this is a treat, but you and I know that everything is pretty healthy and they are getting some important goodies in there.



The original recipe is posted here, smashed peas and carrots , but I make a few additions.

Here is my recipe:


1 1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter; if you are feeling like a real treat, try cookie butter, you can find it at Henrys)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup flaxseed
1/2 cup wheat germ
3 T Dry Milk powder
big handful of chopped pistachios (real exact, I know!)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate chips)
1 pour of vanilla

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Let chill in the refrigerator for 30 mins.  Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week, if you can get them to last that long. (Josh likes them very cold, so I put them in the freezer overnight and then store them in the fridge)

I like to roll them into very small balls because they do "melt" very quickly in warm toddler hands. 

I actually have some in the fridge right now, I'll post pictures as soon as I get them rolled into balls. Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment