A Little Bio

My photo
Im a Stay at Home Mommy to one Beautiful Daughter. I have an amazing husband and a pretty rocking dog named Moose. I love to cook, bake and read. Sometimes I'm lazy. Sometimes my house is dirty. But most of all, I love my family and I'm a real mom.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Caramel Sauce

I have a default caramel sauce. I Use it for all of my savory sweet cravings and sometimes I just eat it straight from the jar.
I'm not gonna lie, it's amazing and very easy if you have the right tools and enough patience. I made it A LOT in colorado. I'm addicted!

Today the caramel episode didn't go quite as planned. My mom and I ran out of our caramel coffee creamer and had to make more sauce. It was a headache! Not only did we wait forever for it to reach temp, but I read the recipe wrong ( after the hundred times I made it, one would think I wouldnt need a recipe). I used too much water and not nearly enough sugar. It turned out as sugary water and not even close to caramel sauce.

We attributed this to the altitude and then decided to try again but to double the recipe. That's when we noticed what actually went wrong. Ha! My blonde must be seeping in.

Anyways, take two was a huge success. It still turned out a little more saucy than I am use to but it is fabulous! I actually know that this time the thinness IS attributed to the altitude instead of my blondeness. It shouldn't need to be heated before use like in Colorado and can be poured or drizzled on anything.

Here's the recipe:
1 cup water
2 cups sugar ( this is where I went wrong. I switched these)
Put water in a heavy bottomed (not non stick pot). Mound sugar in center of pot without getting a single granual on the sides! Do not stir. Bring to boil over high heat. Stick a candy thermometer in and allow to boil until it reaches 300*. Lower heat to medium and boil until 350*. Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients slowly while whisking.
1 cup heavy cream at room temp
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter cut up.

Store in fridge once cooled

Don't be scared. Caramel isn't hard. The scary part is boiling sugar. As long as you have the right tools, you will be golden. I promise. Or just call me and I'll be right over!

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo good on a fresh-out-of-the-oven brownine!!! Thanks for dessert.

    ReplyDelete